Wednesday, January 20, 2016

January Chicken Happenings

 The chickens were fascinated by our Christmas tree.  They've spent the past few weeks climbing on it, pooping on it, crowing from it, and resting on it.
 These two gals are my Easter Eggers.  "Luna" is the gray and brown one on the left and "Fluffy" is my fuzzy cheeked one on the right.

 Foghorn and Matthew are co-captains of the flock.  I was surprised Matthew didn't tip over the bird bath when he jumped up.
 We're getting just a few million eggs each day.
 These two handsome roosters joined our flock this weekend.  Since I hope to raise our own chicks in the future, I'd like to introduce some darker brown eggs into our flock.  These two are Copper Marans roosters and carry the gene for very dark brown eggs.
 The guy in the front is a Black Copper Marans who has crazy feathers around his neck.  We've named him Chief Crazy Feather.
His brother is a Blue Copper Marans and his name is Nicholas.
So far they've been very calm and gentle.
 They're slowly getting brave enough to go exploring.

 I was so glad that they went right into the coop at bedtime and my roosters didn't fuss about having them join the crew at night (there have been a few minor fights in the mornings).
Look at what I found in the coop this morning! One of our Easter Eggers finally laid her first egg.  It's a beautiful blue/green.  I hope we will be getting a lot of these in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment