Thursday, January 21, 2016

Preparing The Chickens For The Winter Storm

With Winter Storm Jonas breathing down our necks, I wanted to get the chickens ready.  We have plenty of chicken feed and bringing them water isn't a problem.  The thing I worried about is driving sleet, freezing rain, and snow.  They have an over-hang roof in their run but the wind would bring the snow and ice right into the run.  
 Luckily we had some leftover plastic that I stapled to the frame.  I was able to wrap the door while allowing it to be opened and closed.
 This side faces north and it will block the worst of the winds.
 When I ran out of clear plastic, I had to use this ugly garden plastic.  It's not much to look at but it will give them a lot of protection during the next few days.
 Now they have an outside space that is protected on three sides.
 The roosters didn't like the sound of my staple gun and kept the girls back but as soon as I'd finished, they ran over to check out the new plastic.

I'll be checking on the chickens often during the storm but I think they'll be fine now.

Here are a few bonus chicken pictures I took today.
 This is what happens when I walk near the chicken coop.  I get mobbed because they're hoping I've brought kitchen scraps or maybe I'll toss them some scratch or sunflower seed.

 Here's Sterling, our Silver Leghorn rooster.
 Formerly "Einstein", this white Polish hen is now named Phyllis Diller.
 My only Barred Rock hen.
We got our second Easter Egger egg today! Another beautiful, pale green/blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment