Saturday, April 23, 2016

An Afternoon With The Chickens

 Last weekend I spent about 2 hours on a blanket, under a shady tree, watching the chickens look for bugs and eat the granola I tossed to them.  It was a wonderful way to spend an afternoon.





 Matthew, our Buff Orpington rooster, knows how handsome he is.
 I caught him mid-crow.

 The hens wearing the saddles (to protect them while their feathers grow back in) are doing well and their saddles should be able to come off in the coming weeks.
 This is Sunny.  She's the only Red Star that I can tell from the others. Her feathers are lighter and a more even color.  She earned the name Sunny because she's crazy for sunflower seeds. She can hear the sound the bin makes when I open it and she comes running.  It's low to the ground and she can stretch her neck out and eat seeds from the bin while I toss a few handfuls out into the coop.
 Sophie is so unphased by the chickens that she'll take a nap as they wonder near us.  The chickens don't mind her either since they know she's not a threat.

Sophie even shares her water bowl with the hens.

No comments:

Post a Comment