Friday, April 8, 2016

Caring For Hens

It's not uncommon for hens to lose feathers on their backs due to mating by roosters.  A great way to protect these bald-backed hens while their feathers grow back is to fit them with a fabric "saddle".  
 I fit Popcorn with a saddle when her wound healed enough to rejoin the flock. This will further protect her wound and allow the feathers to grow back. I thought she looked pretty in flowers.
 I got busy with my needle and thread and sewed more saddles for the other bald-backed hens.  They look cute with their fabric capes.  They'll have to wear them for about a month.

 I found 2 other wounded hens (Peanut, a Silver Leghorn on the left) and Diana (a Blue Andalusian on the right).  I've clipped the spurs on my roosters and I'm hopeful that I've solved the problem of hens being wounded during mating.
 Peanut and Diana have been spending their time in a pen in the garage while their wounds heal but I wanted them to enjoy the nice weather and spring grass. I fashioned a play pen for them and have been toting them outside each day to spend a few hours enjoying grass and bugs.

 They're healing nicely so I'm hoping they'll rejoin the flock this weekend.

 The rest of the flock are enjoying the spring grass, longer days, and insects everywhere.  They're back to taking naps under the fig tree each afternoon.
Matthew and one of his hens tried to help me garden the other day before I shooed them out so they wouldn't' dig up my newly planted seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment